When it comes to choosing wheels for rigorous, high-capacity applications, strength and durability are paramount. The impressive characteristics of forged steel wheels make them a top pick for harsh applications – and no one knows them better than Rockett Inc.!
Our forged wheels are known for their strength, durability and longevity. All forgings are made from 1045 grade steel and have a 10-year guarantee against breakage. Let’s learn more about why forged wheels are the top choice for applications that demand high performance and reliability.
The Manufacturing Process
Forged steel wheels are created through a meticulous manufacturing process that involves extreme heat and pressure. Here’s a brief overview of how these wheels are made:
- Heating: The process starts by heating a solid steel billet to an elevated temperature, typically above 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This extreme heat makes the steel malleable for forging.
- Forging: The heated billet is then placed under a powerful forging press, where immense pressure is applied to shape it into the desired wheel profile. The forging process also aligns the steel’s grain structure, resulting in improved strength and durability.
- Heat Treatment: To enhance the wheel tread’s mechanical properties, it undergoes an induction heat treatment process. This step involves carefully controlled heating and cooling cycles to achieve the desired hardness and strength on the rolling surface.
- Machining: After forging, the wheel undergoes machining operations to achieve precise dimensions, including the bolt pattern, center bore and other critical specifications. This ensures a perfect fit for the vehicle.
- Finishing: Finally, the forged steel wheel is given a surface finish, which can vary based on the application. Options include painting, powder coating or leaving the surface bare.
Strength and Durability Benefits
The unique manufacturing process of forged steel wheels is what gives them exceptional strength and durability. Here are some key benefits they offer:
- High Load Capacity: Forged wheels are known for their impressive load-carrying capabilities. The forging process aligns the steel’s grain structure, eliminating weak points and creating a wheel that can handle heavy loads with ease.
- Impact Resistance: The superior strength of forged steel wheels makes them highly resistant to impacts and shocks. They can withstand rough terrains, potholes and heavy impacts with no problems.
- Fatigue Resistance: Vehicles often experience cyclic loading, leading to fatigue stress on the wheels. Forged wheels have excellent fatigue resistance, allowing them to endure prolonged stress.
- Corrosion Resistance: With the right surface finish or protective coatings, forged steel wheels exhibit excellent resistance to corrosion. This is particularly important for vehicles operating in harsh environments or exposed to chemicals and moisture.
- Longevity: Due to their natural strength and resistance to wear and tear, forged wheels have a longer lifespan compared to other wheel types. This durability leads to cost savings and reduced downtime.
Rockett Inc. can design and machine custom wheels that meet your needs. We can develop custom forging shapes and sizes based on your application. Contact us today for a free quote on forged steel wheels.