Over the past 30 years, powder coat painting has been the solution of choice for finishing a wide range of industrial products, including outdoor electrical enclosures, transformer tanks, and other parts demanding durability. If you are looking for performance and value, then powder coating far outshines traditional liquid coatings. Here are some of the most important reasons for its proven popularity among manufacturers:
- Heat-resistance – Unlike traditional paints, this type of finish offers superior resistance to heat (typically up to 500F) making it ideal for high temperature applications.
- Durable finish – It regularly lasts longer than traditional liquid coating finishes.
- Enhanced surface protection – It prevents corrosion, reduces wear, and provides a neat and clean appearance. A wide range of colors, textures, and gloss levels are available.
- Cost-efficiency – No primer is required, plus it provides desired levels of thickness in a single coat without running or snags.
- Eco-friendly nature – It is an energy efficient process. Most of the overspray can be recovered and reused and has little or no VOC emissions.
However, without the right equipment and processes, even the best quality powder coats can experience performance and durability issues. Many application failures can be traced to low quality products and improper surface penetration. Rockett has 2 powder coating systems to better match your needs. Here are some valuable guidelines to help you:
- Material Selection: We start with a high-quality substrate. When fabricating mild steel products, Rockett uses Hot Rolled Pickled & Oiled material which has been de-scaled and provides a much cleaner surface greatly adding coating adhesion and performance. We can also powder coat stainless steel, aluminum, and galvaneal materials.
- Pre-treatment: Proper surface preparation is essential to the adhesion of the coating to the metal substrate. We use 5-stage washer systems on both our lines to wash and chemically treat parts for a clear, uniform, oil-grease free surface for better adhesion.
- Grounding: Proper grounding of the powder gun is essential to the proper adhesion of the powder to the surface. Poor grounding affects transfer efficiency and results in improper or uneven film buildup.
- Particle size: Each coating is meant for a particular size range. In order to achieve the right thickness, transfer efficiency and proper finish, the same size range needs to be maintained throughout the application. Using only reclaimed material is both inefficient and costly, as particle size reduces with each use. A proper virgin-to-reclaimed-coating ratio needs to be maintained for even and lasting results.
- Quality vs. price: All coatings are not the same, so don’t base your decision solely on price. The coating’s durability, UV resistance, particle size uniformity and whether it contains fillers or off-specification resins, are equally important considerations.
- Industry standards: Following approved standards is key to ensuring safety and avoiding regulatory issues. At Rockett Inc. for instance, our powder coating is tested and performance-verified to meet or exceed the IEEE’s rigorous standard C57.12.28 for pad-mounted electrical equipment.
Being a highly-sophisticated process, the type of equipment has a big impact on finish and durability. At Rocket Inc., our computer-controlled industrial powder coating systems deliver maximum efficiency. Additionally, we constantly monitor and record data to ensure output consistency and precision. Our proven quality is maintained with the help of regular in-house and third party verification processes.
As a trusted contract manufacturer for the electrical power transmission and distribution, brick and ceramic, and material handling industries, you can count on our custom solutions to meet your specific needs.
Our large powder coating system offers a massive capacity for parts up to 12’ x 12’ x 12’ in size and weighing up to 6,000 lbs. This one-of-a-kind, power-and-free conveyor system is able to easily handle a variety large size coating requirements. Our other powder system utilizes a constant conveyer line with a 5’ x 8’ opening and can handle parts up to 8’ long.
Call 601-939-2471 or request a quote online for cost-efficient industrial powder coating solutions from a trusted manufacturer in Mississippi.